2008年12月28日星期日

Christmas 2008

I think sometimes we take the holiday season for granted. For example, we have known ever since we can remember that Christmas is a day where there is no work or school; we get to stay up as late as we want and wake up as early to open up presents….


Well, this Christmas was the first time in my life where I had to work. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of people in China (mostly ex-pats) that either get Christmas off or ask for a paid vacation day, but most Chinese people here treat Christmas like any other working day. I thought about asking my Pops for a paid vacation day, but realized: who am I going to spend the day with? My Mom and my brother are in Los Angeles and my Pops will be at work. I know that if I had asked my Pops would have given me the day off, but I just started working at his company and didn’t want to have any special treatment from him just because I was the boss’s son…


Thus Christmas Day was like any other workday, except that I decided to make it a little bit more festive. I borrowed a Santa suit from a member from my congregation (Thanks, Brother Lamb!) and decided to dress up as Santa. But you ask: what about presents? Surely Santa has to provide presents to everyone, right? Well, since there were about 60 people that work in my Dad’s company I had to come up with something small that I can afford, and this is what I came up with:

Those are called baozi (or steamed/fried buns in English). They are very cheap and can be filled with all sorts of concoctions (meat, veggies, red bean paste, etc.). I decided to play it on the safe side and buy all veggie baozi just in case there is a vegetarian (which I highly doubted, btw) at my Pop’s company…


So with my Santa suit and my Santa bag full of delicious steamed buns I walked into the office . Here were the results:


Walking down the hall...

Here's Santa!
What's a white bearded-man doing in our office?

Passing out baozi...
Oh, no! I'm out of baozi!
Santa with his Pops...

All in all, it was a pretty good Christmas; although I had to work, I spend the day with my Pops. I made my co-workers laugh hysterically and some even say it was the best Christmas they've ever had (which isn't saying much). Would I have rather spent Christmas Day around a Christmas tree opening up presents with family and friends? Sure. But this was one Christmas I will never forget....

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or whatever holiday(s) you celebrated!

5 条评论:

Fran 说...

Hello! I came across your blog by sheer chance. Interesting stories indeed, especially the one about those two Aussie guys...Oh btw, nice Christmas gifts for everyone! Keep on going and enjoy your stay in China! Have a happy wonderful 2009!

Take care,
Fran

Lambini 说...

Show me my cousin....pics!

Allana 说...

I thought Santa was supposed to be a nice, jolly sort of man... I guess the people at your job will have to take whatever they can get. ( hehehehe, you knew I couldn't resist the cheap jab).

Unknown 说...

Do you know how many times I had to click before I found the stupid "comment" button? If you're going to write this thing in English, put the instructions in English!

Judging by the pictures, you've put on enough weight to pull off the Santa suit (kidding).

How many people died eating your "buns," as you call them?

MelTy 说...

if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. i would have to echo the llama's comments...how many co-workers did you kill with your buns? i am happy to see that the chinese government allows such a western and christmas idol such as santa to be roaming around the country! beware! but that was nice of you to celebrate on your own with your "pops" (must you persist in calling him that?) and fellow co-workers. i am sure they never feel that you receive special treatment.